Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Heart Tugs

Growing up, Memorial Day was a great family picnic and a Monday off of school.

As well it should be, those who gave their lives would have it just that way.

Yet, as a proud Army Wife, part of my heart feels a tug heading into this day that makes me irritated. For so many, this day is just that: a day off of work and school, a BBQ, a cold beer, a weekend getaway.

While all that is fine and great, I wish Memorial Day would matter more. I wish there was more respect for the purpose of the Day. I wish that in each heart in America, there was the 'tug' that I feel in anticipation of the day. I wish I saw more flags flown proudly. More patriotic tshirts. More groups of people praying together in support of those fallen, those left behind and those still serving. I wish that Dads and Moms would sit with their children and talk to them about the sacrifices made by soldiers who have died to keep them safe and free. Do your littleones know the Pledge of Allegiance? Do they know the National Anthem? How about God Bless America? Do you? You should!

I'm not trying to bring you all down on this a beautiful weekend of fun, friendship and fellowship. But I would like you to hear my heart and allow these thoughts to tug at your heart as they tug at mine. This Memorial Day, I will be thinking of the many soldiers in my mind who have died, the many many who have life altering injuries, the precious wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, and children who will endure life without the soldier that they sent away. The families, waiting with aching hearts for their soldier to, God willing, come home from deployment.

The Real American Soldier is brave, selfless, rough around the edges, loyal, caring, fearless, dedicated, compassionate, just, competant, trained, ready. They are sons, daughters, mommies, daddies, husbands, wives and even grandparents. Every race, creed, religion and culture is represented by the soldier.

Take time today to consider how you live your life in respect and admiration for those who keep your country safe and free. Make today a true day of Memorium, of remembrance.

God Bless our Soldiers.

God Bless our Great Nation, The United States of America.


1 comment:

  1. Well said and couldn't agree more. I was thinking today that every American should see Band of Brothers or another well-done war documentary to get a glimpse into the sacrifice our military personnel make for us - from decades or centuries ago up to today. Thank you, John, for serving our country and serving it for God's glory! :)

    ReplyDelete