I finally have a "son" - we welcomed Dusty to our home this weekend and we just LOVE him!! He is a Dog that our neighbor rescued and we feel so grateful that someone loved him enough to care for him until it was just the right time for us!! He's been with us for 2 nights now and he likes to sit on top of the couch, jump up high for his toys and run after Emma and Lily in the yard. Don't call me crazy... L.Y., I hear your shaking your head :-)
It was a very Happy Mother's Day!!
It has been an interesting month for us. John was away on a 30 day training exercise to the National Training Center in California. He came back on Wednesday morning - we were sooooo happy to see him!! He spent the month working very hard, training with his unit in preparation for their upcoming deployment to Iraq. This is the supreme reason that I have not blogged - It was a super huge challenge to meet the needs of these three little girls, keep up with my volunteer work, manage to keep the house in order (no, I'm not sure I kept it clean...) and take care of myself. Blogging and computering took the hit and for a good cause. (I did manage to hit facebook at least once a day....it's my vice...) Welcome home Daddy!! We missed you very much!!
This Mother's Day has made me stop and think about the kind of Mother I was this month....under pressure and under circumstances that were not the most ideal. I wasn't perfect...I can think of a few times when I yelled much louder than I should have....how about that scolding that really needed grace...and yes, a few missed chores due to a lazy pity party....too much time whining on the phone when I should have been kneeling at the throne....
Am I the best Mother I can be all the time??? Am I all that I can be when it really matters? When it's hard, do I put my head down and walk into the headwind, or do I sit down and cover up, hoping it passes quickly?
I got my answer this past month - no, I am not the best Mother I can be all the time. When it really matters, I don't always succeed and when it's hard, I don't always press on. Makes me sound awful....
Not really, you see, each day of this past month I was given opportunities to see God's hand in our life. His provision, his grace, his faithfulness, his love. After each bad screaming match between me and one of my precious children, there was a chance at forgiveness, healing, speaking God's word and lots of love and prayers together. There were many servant hearted acts of help in everystep of the stormy paths, prodding me to keep going, reminding me that I could do it. I know I was prayed for - the strength it takes to be a full time Mom to three little girls all by myself would not be possible without intercession from those who know the steadfast love of my God and prayed it into my life. There were things I had to adjust and God made those things very clear: I had to limit my phone time, computer time, I had to go to bed early, I had to plan meals and I had to focus on my girls when they were near. There was a phone call of encouragement every single time I felt weary and tired...then suddenly, refreshment.
I had the best kind of Mother and yet, her example was never perfect either - just dusted and decorated with God's grace. I missed her - wishing I could call her up and have her come and help me with my little girls as so many around me received visits from their moms. And yet, for the past 13 years that she's been gone, God's mercy and love has been so amazing and it seems that I always have the piece of her I need at just the right time in the woman that he places in my life to love and support me!! Thank you Robyn, Allison, Lacey, Martina,Kim, Charlotte....and soooo many others for allowing God to use you to bless my life - Happy Mother's Day!!
I spent my favorite Holiday weekend (Easter) with someone who God planted in my life as a gift to me. The girls and I packed up the truck and spent 10 hours on the road to visit my dear Charlotte!! When I first moved away from home, God gave me Charlotte - a big sister of sorts and dear Christian friend - when I missed my mom, I can look back now and see that Chottie (her nickname) is someone that God placed in my life to show me that he loves me still and that he would fill those needs as he saw fit. She has a beautiful piece of property in the Hill Country of Texas. We rode horses, played with her puppies (all 5 of them!), swam in her pool, had an egg hunt for Easter, and a fancy crown roast of lamb for dinner. The girls were loved and I was very spoiled, having many opportunities to relax, sit, laugh ... Thank you Charlotte and Ed!!
And of course, my little girls - growing all the time and blessing our lives with each little minute!! Stay tuned - Jana turns 1 next week and Lily turns 3 in two weeks!! Lots of fun blogs ahead!!
Thanks for hearing my heart and taking our journey with us!!
Happy Mother's Day to you too my precious friend. I was so glad to hear that John is home from his training and that you are once again a complete family (puppy and all). I must say that I was one of the ones who missed your blog this past month but was so blessed to hear that the reason you have been silent on the blog is because you needed to prioritize your family needs over those of spending time on the computer and even on the phone. Loved it when you said that maybe we should spend more time at the throne then on the phone. The shouting that might have happened over the last month will soon be forgotten by Emma, Liy, and Jana but the wonderful Mommy and Me vacation that you took them on over the Easter weekend will be remembered for years to come. Lots of Love-Nana Milne
ReplyDelete