Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Grow, stretch, work, love, learn what you're made of

So, last week I shared my heart about making room in my heart. Making that room requires you to get rid of things that aren't useful anymore, reorganize and do a good old fashioned cleaning. When it comes to matters my heart and the task of making room at hand, I took to my knees and asked for some guidance. Generally, the still small voice told me to clean up my house first :-), the wise voice of a friend told me to make a phone call, my head told me to make a serious plan to get unpacked! I had a long list of things to do last week. I was ready, willing, able and ready to tackle an award winning list of things designed to make our little life that much better!!!

Well, it's funny...well, not so funny.... because I didn't do any of those things last week. My hard working man left again for another field exercise on Monday morning. By Tuesday night, Jana had the stomach flu...by Wednesday at noon, I had it.....by early evening Wednesday, Lily was puking too. I could recount the endless horror that was Tuesday through Wednesday with details that would leave you feeling sick yourself, but instead I want to share the result. My dear dear friend ran some errands for me. Brought us pedialyte and as much love as she could. I cried, I cleaned, I pushed myself, I hugged babies, cleaned them, they hugged me, helped me....my sweet little girls. Emma was so darling, patting our heads and telling me she would pray that Lily and I would be better soon....only to get sick herself on Friday. I can't deny that in the roughest part of the night, I was really mad that once again, the Army had my man, when I really needed him to be home. Around 3 am, I prayed hard - it was that prayer that had no words, just the groaning of my spirit in a way that only my heavenly Father could understand.

John came home early from the field....a first in almost 9 years of marriage. He sent me straight to bed and cleaned the mess. He had no sleep after a full on 24 hours of intense field training, but he found it in himself to come home and keep on working for us....for me. After a long nap I woke up to a clean living room and kitchen. I know he was tired....he didn't show it. He's made of stuff that is a lot stronger than I could possibly imagine....Wow! Thank You God for a husband like John.

Well, this past week, I found out what I was really made of. Was it ideal? No. Did it happen perfectly? No. But did God take care of us? ABSOLUTELY!! We're being stretched hard as a family. But the hard work of turning everything over to God and trusting him to get us through it, well....the result is finding out what we're made of....finding out that he HAS made us strong enough to get through it.

We'll have a really hard year ahead of us....and we were reminded last week, that God will be there....even when it gets really bad. That it may not be perfect, but we'll make it. (no pictures were taken for this blog post.... :-))

......Lord, next time you need to remind us of your perfect hand and faithfulness in our lives, maybe you could skip the 48 hour stomach flu???

Lamentations 3:22...because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed, for him compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment