Saturday, February 20, 2010

A bit more choke and you would have started

Aussie Slang! Thought my Moris Down Under fans would enjoy some of the fun new ways we are hearing the English Language being used here in Australia. (Hint: the title is a slang phrase....look it up, it's worth a little chuckle) Here is a list we've come across so far - I'm sure we will experience much more now that Emma is in school.

G'day - pronounced "gidday" - I'm sure you all know that one, funny to hear Emma use it for the first time at school last week!

A tall poppy - a person who is a bragging,over achiever and as such is fodder for envy and gossip

Bloke - guy

Sheila - girl

No Worries - self explainitory, but the aussies use it instead of 'your welcome'

Good Onya - you've done well

Footy- a game of soccer or aussie rules football

Nappies - diapers

Ace! - Very Good

The lue - the bathroom

Fairy Floss - cotton candy

Dodgy- dangerous

Ute - large truck or SUV (we thought they were talking about farm animals at first)

Bonzer - GREAT! (for you Patrick)

Sunnies - sunglasses

brelly - umbrella

thongs - flip flops

Garbage can - rubish

Brekkie - Breakfast sandwich

Mackers - Mcdonalds

Bush - the outback, the country

kindies - kindergarteners

Oz! -Australia!

stubby - beer bottle

tomato sauce - ketchup

pasata - tomato sauce

bicarb - baking soda (good thing I was good in chemistry)

sultanas - raisins

petrol - gasoline

and.....we have confirmed that you should never tell anyone that you will "root for their team" - again, not appropriate for posting, but if you're interested, it's on the www!

Cheers Mates!!
Mum, Da & Bubs!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Heavens!
    (in my most grandma-ish voice) I will most certainly NOT be rooting for any australians any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee, hee. Those Aussies! I love the anymore choke saying. Will be using that soon, not that that happens around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized that I have been behind on your postings and have enjoyed getting caught up this morning. Emma was adorable in her back-to-school sundress (can hardly wait until we can wear sundresses again) and I LOVED your Valentine's posting. Heather, I encourage you to continue to be John's "soft place to land" and am thankful that you guys are into real-ationships. Thanks for the Aussie language 101-I am sure that it is hilarious to hear the girls using the new phrases that they are learning on a daily basis. Love you guys-Nana Milne

    ReplyDelete