Confession time: during Thanksgiving and Christmas this Army wife and mom always feels very very bad. Why you ask? Its pretty simple really....I miss "the holidays". I miss the traditions of Christmas's gone by; filled with Grandmas and Grandpas, cousins, familiar food, all the sights sounds and smells that make the memories that should fill our young lives. Memories that spur you on to take those traditions with you and pass them on. 
So, how do I pass those on to my kids? Really I can't. That hurts my heart. It won't ever be that special for them....will it?
I have been encouraged by reading the thoughts of another Army wife who struggled with the same things I do: Make Your Own Traditions! I will make it special for my girls, for John and I and for our family. Of course, I'm sure things will evolve and change as we grow but this year we intentionally did a few things that we hope to take with us each year.
So this year our new traditions are: A Happy Birthday Jesus Party with our neighborhood friends, Making cookies for Santa with Daddy, wearing our Christmas PJ's on Christmas Eve and Christmas Caroling (which we didn't get to do because it was really really really cold and wet :-))
I can't wait to see what new traditions await us...the most important one will be being together and worshipping the infant King, born to be our Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment